One of the best parts of any Kosherica cruise or riverboat cruise is the incredible 5-star glatt kosher food that you get to partake in from the minute you board on embarkation day. Everything is prepared fresh on board daily and the unique and mouth-watering menu changes daily. And while you can absolutely indulge in some of the sumptuous confections that are offered, Kosherica is always proud to offer many healthy options at every single meal. Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads, fish, salads and so much more to keep you on track (while letting in a “cheat” here and there!)
We are thrilled to be able to share with you two of our most popular soup recipes from our glatt kosher cruises. These recipes are super simple, healthy and so full of flavor. We know you’ll love them!
This is not a standard corn chowder! Our version is slightly spicy and significantly lightened up – a great healthy and hearty starter for any meal or make it a meal on its own!
2 cans of corn
6 scallions, diced
Red pepper, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 large potatoes, diced
2 bay leaves
1 quart vegetable broth
2 tsp salt
2 cups of milk (can use soy milk for a pareve option)
½ tsp black pepper
½ jalapeno, diced
4 tbsp butter
1. Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large pot and sauté the scallions, red pepper, celery, jalapeno and salt for about 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
2. Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, bay leaves and 1 can of corn and bring everything to a boil.
3. Turn the heat down and let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Combine 1 can of corn and the milk in a blender and puree it until it becomes creamy.
5. Add the puree into the pot with the remaining butter and the black pepper and bring it back to a boil.
6. Turn the heat down and let the soup simmer for another 25 minutes.
Pumpkin White Bean Soup
This soup literally takes 10 minutes to put together and is so healthy. Canned pumpkin is an incredible ingredient if you are looking for something filling and healthy. You can read more about the health benefits here – https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/6-surprising-health-benefits-of-pumpkin#1.
2 tbsp olive oil
Canned pumpkin (15 oz)
3 ½ cups of chicken or vegetable broth
Canned white beans (15 ½ oz)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion cooking until soft.
2. Stir in the pumpkin, broth, white beans, salt and pepper.
3. Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Use an immersion blender and puree the soup. You can also do this in a blender if you don’t have an immersion blender but make sure to do it in small batches as it’s hot.
We hope that you enjoy these tried and tested Kosherica favorites with your family this winter and we can’t wait you to see you in Summer 2021 on one of our stunning glatt kosher cruises or riverboat sailings!