TOP 8 HEALTHIEST AND TASTIEST SNACKS
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Stay on board with all of the latest blog posts.
The list below was tried on kids and adults alike. Some of them were presented in parfait glasses and served as a delicious dessert. Others, in casual snack presentations. All, without fail, aid digestion, boost energy and promote good metabolism. True, they don't come from a vending machine and do take a minute to prepare, but doesn't your health deserve the small effort? Instead of empty calories and sugar-born hyperactive behavior, it promises to infuse your family with constant, lasting energy. The nutrients in these taste so good that you and yours might find that you prefer them over the usual junk food snacks.
1. Fage Greek yoghurt, plain, served with frozen black cherries. One cup of this creamy yoghurt has 23 grams of protein and 20 grams of calcium. The cherries are full of phytonutrients, fiber, vitamin C, potassium and anthocyanin which fights free radicals and inhibits inflammatory pathways. This snack can be served as a beautiful parfait dessert with an array of serious health benefits: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-black-cherries-for-skin-hair-and-health/.
Those on low sugar diets must use it more sparingly, or opt for the less sweet variety of cherries.
2. Sliced cauliflowers, carrots, broccoli, kohlrabi, kale, cabbage leaves - all sources of phenethyl isothiocyanates.
Place them around a large platter. In the middle put a dipping dish with a creamy blend of Yoghurt or Kefir, turmeric, dry onion, garlic salt and cumin to taste. This combination of the cruciferous vegetables and turmeric dip are delicious, plus are a powerful natural medicine. The cruciferous veggies are the serious roughage.Moreover, in combination with turmeric they make for a dramatically powerful magic potion. Cancer, RA, inflammatory bowel disease, improved liver function and much more.
Great instead of popcorn when watching your favorite TV shows.
3. Sunflower seed butter served with sliced apple. This can be varied with almond butter or coconut almond butter. They contain copper and magnesium and a little goes a long way. Dip apple slices in the dish and enjoy.
4. Brown rice cakes or lavash cracker (can be found in a gluten-free version as well), avocado sliced finely, 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds, sliced tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil. Pile on and serve.
5. If you make your own all the better, but store bought hummus will do. Put in the center, decorate with pine nuts, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil. Surround the bowl with a colorful array of veggies to dip and dig in.
6. Fruit salad. The more elaborate and beautiful the more likely to serve as a healthy dessert. Presentation is key here. In a casual setting a fruit salad can be a good snack to tide you over. When served in an elegant crystal glass, raspberries and other exquisite fruit decorated by a mint sprig, can serve as a fancy dessert.
7. Instead of cakes or mousse, a small selection of exquisite cheese on a platter may be offered up as dessert. Serve on a wooden cutting board with some fruit and nuts. Beautiful, healthy and sophisticated. As a snack, small amounts with a few healthy hemp seed crackers, a few of almonds and a little fruit will satisfy cheese lovers.
8. Hemp Smoothie - whip up the ingredients below in a blender for a delicious and super-healthy smoothie:
a. 4 tbsp hemp seeds
b. 2 bananas
c. 1 cup frozen organic raspberries
d. ½ ripe avocado
e. 1 ½ cup hemp milk (can substitute with almond milk or brown rice milk)
f. 1 ½ cup coconut water
g. 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
h. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
i. 2 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
Disclaimer: Cruise Kosher suggests the top Kosher Cruise Agents and is not responsible for bookings made with those companies.